SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER
High Point Academy is seeking an enthusiastic, energetic special education teacher to join our education family and assist students in learning activities and experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Multicategorical certification preferred.
- Collaborate with students, parents, and other members of staff to develop IEP through the Multidisciplinary Team process for each student assigned.
- Implement an instructional, therapeutic, or skill development program for assigned students and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
- Work cooperatively with classroom teachers to modify regular curricula as needed and assist special education students in regular classes with assignments.
- Participate in Multidisciplinary Team meetings on a regular basis.
- Conduct assessment of student learning styles and use results to plan for instructional activities.
- Present subject matter according to guidelines established by IEP.
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques and media to meet the needs and capabilities of each student assigned.
- Plan and supervise assignments for teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s).
- Use technology in teaching/learning process.
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Provide or supervise personal care, medical care, and feeding of students as stated in IEP.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by campus principal.
- Be a positive role model for students; support mission of school district.
- Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Manage student behavior and administer discipline. This includes intervening in crisis situations and physically restraining students as necessary according to IEP and school and district policy.
- Consult with classroom teachers regarding management of student behavior according to IEP.
- Consult district and outside resource people regarding education, social, medical, and personal needs of students.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Assist in selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials as required.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Keep informed of and comply with federal, state, district, and school regulations and policies for special education teachers.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Valid South Carolina teaching certificate with required special education endorsements for assignment
- Demonstrated competency in the subject area(s) assigned
- Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area
- Knowledge of Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee, Multidisciplinary Team process and Individual Education Plan (IEP) goal setting process and implementation
- General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
High Point Academy https://www.hpaspartanburg.com/
High Point Academy Spartanburg, SC is a tuition-free public charter school founded in 2014. We are Spartanburg County’s only charter school serving students in kindergarten through 12th grades. All students in South Carolina are eligible to attend. High Point Academy is one of more than 30 school members of the South Carolina Public Charter School District.
Our mission is to educate, help every student feel welcome, connect, and be a part of the High Point Academy family. We ask our students, our parents, and our staff to uphold the High Point Academy Commitment.
High Point Academy is led by certified teachers anchored in an applied learning style of instruction with an emphasis in S.T.E.A.M. (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) education and character development and leadership training. Through a partnership with family and community, each student will be challenged to achieve his or her highest potential academically, socially, and personally.