McCormick County School District
POSITION TITLE: Guidance Counselor (Secondary)
SUMMARY: To teach students the content and skills as defined in the McCormick County School Districts Curriculum and develop proficiency in analytical thinking and problem solving, instill a love and appreciation for independent learning, and build ethical character and promote responsible citizenship
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college Valid South Carolina teaching certificate
- Meets Highly Qualified requirements as defined by the ESEA legislation preferred
- Documented successful teaching experience
- Proficiency in the use of technology
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans and provides daily instruction based on the McCormick County School District Approved Curriculum that meets the individual needs, interests, abilities, and developmental levels of assigned students.
- Plans daily instruction that uses instructional strategies to accommodate individual differences immaturity and rates, styles, and modalities of learning.
- Provides content for learners that is appropriate for the unit objectives, for students' ability and developmental levels, and maintains a pace appropriate for all students.
- Provides content for learners using multiple sources and formats, explanations, examples, and demonstrations and provides emphasis on key elements.
- Monitors and enhances learning using multiple strategies such as observation of student performance, appropriate questioning techniques, informal assessment, appropriate adjustment of instructional strategies, effective instructional feedback, and appropriate and sufficient reviews and summaries of content and skills.
- Maintains and reinforces appropriate expectations for student performance and responsibility and student expectations for completing assignments.
- Communicates with parents/legal guardians regarding the academic performance of the students.
- Displays confidence and enthusiasm and promotes student to student interactions and students to teacher interactions
- Establishes and communicates to students and parents clear and appropriate rules and consequences for student behavior and enforces rules in a fair and consistent manner.
- Establishes effective routines for non-instructional tasks, plans for smooth transitions between instructional events, and manages instructional materials, resources, and technologies.
- Maintains a physical environment that promotes learning and is safe and attractive.
- Maintains confidentiality of student records
- Works Cooperatively with the district.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on committees as required.
- Performs requirements as established by state and federal laws and requirements established by the Board of Trustees.
- Fulfills professional responsibilities beyond the classroom.
- Participates in professional development programs
- Performs other duties as directed
Terms of Employment: Salary to be determined by the salary schedule established by the Board of Trustees.
Reports to: Principal
Salary Range: Please see our salary schedule
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.