- Assume overall responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the classroom and classroom staff.
- Make recommendations to the Senior Director of Education for employment and termination of classroom staff.
- Carry out orientation and be responsible for the performance and yearly evaluation of classroom staff.
- Support classroom staff in their ongoing educational development.
- Provide a developmentally appropriate and stimulating atmosphere within the classroom, utilizing up-to-date curriculum and curriculum aids.
- Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for students.
- Assume responsibility for special programs.
- Inform parents on a timely basis of classroom/special activities, etc through monthly calendar and newsletter.
- Communicate, as necessary, with individual parents to keep them informed of information regarding their child.
- Ensure attendance, snack, and lunch records are maintained accurately on a daily basis.
- Provide consultation and support to parents as needed.
- Complete appropriate documentation for any accident witnessed involving a student within the classroom setting and notify nursing staff for further parent communication.
- Conduct weekly meetings with classroom staff to relay information pertaining to students, staff, therapies, etc.
- Train, inform, and utilize high school/college students and volunteers in the classroom.
- Ensure classroom coverage at all times, utilizing other staff members as necessary.
- Notify Senior Director of Education and contact parent/legal guardian if child is absent three consecutive days or is frequently absent from school.
- Notify Senior Director of Education and secure a substitute (as needed) if late or absent from work unexpectedly.
- Plan and implement daily related arts activities.
- Assume responsibility for classroom budget planning/implementation.
- Make annual recommendations for updating equipment and computer software.
Planning and Development
- Coordinate all arrangements for field trips with the Senior Director of Transportation, Senior Director of Education, and Senior Director of Therapy.
- Submit lesson plan to the Senior Director of Education by Monday mornings.
- Assess students in appropriate developmental areas at least once a year for the purpose of writing an IEP.
- Assume responsibility for documentation of classroom IEP.
- Document quarterly progress in achieving IEP goals for each student.
- Write discharge summaries as required for exiting students.
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of a total program for each student with the therapists.
- Participate in admission team screenings as needed and coordinate with other staff in making recommendations for placement at the Center or to other facilities.
- Prepare and type IEP’s in accordance with the Center’s established schedule; obtain all necessary documentation for IEP’s.
- Assist as required with the planning and development of long-range goals and objectives for the Center.
Policies and Standards
- Make recommendations to the Executive Director for development, review, and revision of Center Policies and Procedures.
- Administer policies and programs that pertain to the classroom as adopted by the Board of Directors.
- Promote the Meyer Center mission whenever possible in the community within the confines of the Personnel Policy.
- Comply with all licensing standards and regulations set by DSS Day Care Licensing, DSS Child and Adult Care Food Program, UMTA, ABC Voucher, DHEC, Medicaid, and the Board of Directors.
- Participate in United Way campaign and fundraising activities as requested.
- Such other duties as requested by the Senior Director of Education or Executive Director.
SC Public Charter School District
Meyer Center for Special Children https://meyercenter.org/
Dr. Leslie Meyer founded the Meyer Center in 1954 with a simple vision: in the right environment, any child can learn. Today the Meyer Center remains dedicated to enriching the lives of children with disabilities so that they might reach their full potential.
Qualifications: Must meet minimum educational requirements, including a Bachelor's Degree in Special Education.