QUALIFICATIONS: South Carolina certification as Media Specialist. Candidates eligible for alternative certification as approved by the South Carolina Department of Education will be considered.
- Operates and supervises the library to which assigned.
- Evaluates, selects, and requisitions new media materials.
- Assists teachers in the selection of books and other instructional materials, and makes media center materials available to supplement the instructional program.
- Maintains a comprehensive and efficient system for cataloging all library materials, and instructs teachers and students on use of the system.
- Arranges for interlibrary loan of materials of interest or use to teachers.
- Works with teachers in planning those assignments likely to lead to extended use of media center resources.
- Promotes appropriate conduct of students using media center facilities.
- Helps students to develop habits of independent reference work and to develop skill in the use of reference materials in relation to planned assignments.
- Arranges frequently changing book-related displays and exhibits likely to interest the media center patrons.
- Supervises media clerk in the performance of duties.
- Participates actively in library and other educational and professional associations on the local, regional, state and national level.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
TERMS:195 days. Salary and work year to be established by the Board.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.
Sumter School District is an equal opportunity employer.