McCormick County School District
POSITION TITLE: Computer Science Teacher
SUMMARY: The teacher will instruct students in the language and skills in Computer Science at the AP level with a focus on engineering and computing. The teacher may need additional professional development in the curriculum and will be supported for the training. The teacher will report to the Principal.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors and/or Master’s Degree Preferred
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teaches concepts and skills in the use of specifically chosen software, computer language in Python and Java and other computer languages that may be a part of the curriculum.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action the Institute’s philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and Instructional media and conducts subject area research to support and enhance course content.
- Prepares lesson plans for daily classroom activities; organizes classroom for daily instruction. Provides limited lectures, demonstrates and uses audiovisual teaching aids to present subject matter to class.
- Selects and requests books, instructional aids, and instructional supplies; maintains inventory of supplies, equipment, ·and materials needed for classroom activities; inspects and troubleshoots any computer problems.
- Prepares, administers, and corrects tests and assignments; record grades and/or other assessments.
- Maintains order in classroom; supervises student activities such as, printing reports, working on projects, etc.
- Maintains attendance and grade records as required by school board.
- Counsels students in adjustment and academic problems; provides feedback to students.
- Meets with parents and school personnel as needed to discuss student performance, activities, etc.; issues report to inform parents of students' progress.
- Instructs students in the proper use, care and operation of computers, keyboards, printers, etc. Evaluates progress of students in concepts and skills of subject taught and contribution to group projects.
- Prepares various records and forms such as lesson plans, daily and weekly activity plans, tests, purchase orders, discipline reports; keeps abreast of new technology and software.
- Participates in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops. Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Responsible for classroom materials and supplies budget. Supervises students in classroom situation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures and activities of the school district which pertain to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Knowledge in the methods for developing lesson plans and materials, and classroom activities which stimulate learning.
- Knowledge of the records, forms and reports which must be prepared and maintained.
- Knowledge of proper maintenance of equipment, materials and supplies used in daily activities.
- Knowledge of training methods used in teaching concepts and skills on computers to classroom students.
Knowledge of counseling methods necessary for handling student academic and adjustment problems
- Knowledge of the materials and information which must be prepared for classroom instructional activities.
- Ability to provide instruction to students in computer and software use through explanation, demonstration and/or supervised practice.
- Ability to supervise students and maintain order in various classroom and instructional activities and situations.
- Ability to operate computers and related peripherals and general office equipment in the performance of daily activities.
- Ability to prepare lesson plans, tests, and instructional materials for classroom activities.
- Ability to identify student adjustment and/or academic problems, provide counseling and/or recommend appropriate remedial action to parents.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and their parents, district staff, and all other groups involved in the activities of the job.
Terms of Employment: Salary to be determined by the salary schedule established by the Board of Trustees.
Reports to: Principal
Salary Range: Please see our salary schedule
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.