1. Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in educational administration or curriculum. Preferably a doctorate with emphasis or educational administration or curriculum.
2. Experience in teaching and in administration and/or supervision of schools. Minimum of three years as principal or central office supervisor.
3. Shall have established himself/herself as an educational leader in the profession.
4. Hold or the ability to obtain South Carolina Educator Certification.
5. Such alternative to the above as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
This position is responsible and accountable for leading, managing, and supervising the curriculum, instruction, and support activities and functions of the Florence 1 Schools. The department includes K-12 Literacy; K-12 Math, Science, Social Studies, and Instructional Technology; Career and Technical Education; Student Athletics and Activities; Visual and Performing Arts; Physical Education; and Safe and Drug-Free Schools. To fulfill the goals and mission of the Instructional department, this position functions to provide vision, leadership, and direction to all employees within the department. This position is directly responsible to the Superintendent.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Directs and coordinates the operation and administration of a program of instructional improvement and curriculum service in the district.
2. Identifies and plans for special programs of professional growth for teachers as necessary for implementation of special projects and instructional programs.
3. Coordinates the implementation of new and revised instructional programs in the schools.
4. Assists the Superintendent in planning and recommending policies and goals for operation of the schools in the district, and in the evaluation of the efficiency of their operation.
5. Observes the instructional program by regular visits to schools and by conferring with principals and teachers.
6. Directs and coordinates the state and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools accreditation programs.
7. Serves as a resource person in the development of projects under federal programs as they relate to the instructional program.
8. Other duties as requested.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
1. Possess strong communication, collaborative, and interpersonal skills.
2. Possess the physical, mental, and emotional stamina commensurate with the responsibilities and expectations of the position.
3. Possess an understanding of federal and state legislation and District policies related to academic content, achievement standards, and instructional support programs and activities.
4. Possess a high level of self-confidence, initiative, self-direction, and motivation.
5. Capable of diplomacy, judgment, problem solving, and accountability.
6. Demonstrate strong, collaborative leadership.
7. Demonstrate creativity in positive leadership.
Salary Range: $130,000-$135,000 based on experience
Contract Days: 240
Florence Public School District One is a 284-square-mile area located in Florence County, South Carolina. It encompasses all or part of several communities, including Claussen, Effingham, Evergreen, Oakdale, Quinby, and Mars Bluff, as well as the City of Florence, serving approximately 75,000 people. Florence District One is the 15th largest school district in South Carolina and the second-largest employer in Florence County in its category.