DESCRIPTION: Highly qualified, endorsed Reading Intervention Specialist with knowledge and skills necessary to help students develop proficient reading skills, through the application of reading intervention supports, that will contribute to their academic growth.
SCOPE OF POSITION: The Reading Specialist works directly and aggressively with identified students to substantially increase their academic performance through reading interventions. Under the supervision of the Director of Teaching and Learning, the Reading Intervention Specialist will provide diversified strategies and activities specifically designed for targeted students.
- The Reading Intervention Specialist will effectively support student acquisition of core curriculum and content standards.
- Assist staff in defining and measuring reading levels
- Facilitate team meetings with the identified student’s teachers and parents
- Work with individual teachers, groups of teachers and/or the entire staff on issues such as: reading intervention, learning and collaboration issues, and factors that can affect development and implementation of interventions.
- Use ongoing assessments to maintain a record of student progress.
- Develop a repertoire of assessment strategies consistent with instructional goals, teaching methods, and individual student needs to more accurately assess student reading skills and understandings.
- Regard assessment as a joint venture through which both student and teacher understanding is enhanced.
- Create fair and equitable assessments to assess higher-order thinking and problem solving as well as individual skills, knowledge, and understandings.
- Model good assessment processes that assist students in assessing their own work
- Provide recognition of a variety of student accomplishments and and growth.
- Work cooperatively with building administrators
- Continually supervise students to ensure a safe, non-threatening, nurturing environment where students can thrive.
- Engage parents in the process and empower parents by providing them with skills and techniques to support the positive behavior development of their child.
- Participate in building level team and/or grade level meetings, as appropriate.
- Consult with school counselor, and teachers
- Attend professional development opportunities to maintain high level of skill and knowledge of current research and practices
- Engage in on-going professional development to increase knowledge and skills of positive student reading support for all students, targeted students and students who represent sub-group populations.
- Serve as a consultant to administrators, teachers, and parents
- Organize and schedule time commitments to meet demands of the job
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures; report all unsafe activities to supervisor and/or Human Resources.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve building, departmental and/or grade level goals
- Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge/skill
Must be a certified literacy coach, literacy specialist or literacy teacher through the SC Department of Education and/or possess Read to Succeed Endorsement through the SC Department of Education. Knowledge of intervention planning for increasing reading levels and comprehension strategies. Knowledge in the use of assessment and assessment data to inform instruction and prescribe work plans for individual students. Knowledge in research based instructional strategies and ability to implement them effectively. Knowledge in the use of technology to support instruction Demonstrate ability to plan and evaluate strategies for improving instruction Ascribes to the philosophy that all children can succeed and demonstrates the commitment to do what is necessary to make this a reality.
Polaris Tech Charter School https://www.polaristech.org/
Polaris Tech is a new and innovative charter school that will transform learning for students in the Lowcountry and Jasper County, South Carolina.
Enrolling in Polaris Tech means choosing an entirely new educational model, one that links learning to life ambitions and success. We offer a personalized, blended learning instructional model in a tech powered environment. Our online learning platform empowers students to work at their own pace. Applied learning projects give students the freedom to express their interests and talents. Tech-minded career pathways introduce students to 21st century jobs and the knowledge and skills needed to prepare for the future. Polaris Tech is where students are the architect of their future. Where students learn to navigate a course to success in college, career and life. Polaris Tech prepares students today for tomorrow’s opportunities.