Create and implement a flexible program and classroom environment favorable to student
learning and personal growth. Develops lesson plans consistent with established guidelines.
Establish effective rapport with students, staff members, and parents. Motivate students to
develop skills, attitudes, and knowledge to provide an effective educational foundation, in
accordance with each student's ability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Plans and implements a program of instruction that adheres to the company's philosophy,
goals, and objectives as outlined in the adopted courses of study.
• Makes purposeful and appropriate lesson plans that provide effective teaching strategies
and maximize time on tasks.
• Presents subject matter to students to maximize learning opportunities and provides realworld, application-based examples and learning opportunities.
• Review student records in order to develop a foundation of understanding regarding each
student's abilities and needs. Maintain accurate and complete student records.
• Strives to maximize the educational achievement of each student.
• Utilizes a variety/range of student learning modalities in each lesson and uses
differentiated instruction within those lessons.
• Utilizes diagnostic assessment of student learning on a frequent basis. Maintains accurate
and completes student records.
• Assesses student strengths and weaknesses on a frequent basis, provide appropriate
activities to address student needs, and generates progress reports as required.
• Refers students with suspected learning problems to appropriate support personnel.
Assigns lessons, corrects student work product, and reviews oral presentations.
• Coordinates class field trips (as required).
• Prepares students for state-required achievement assessments.
• Keeps current in subject matter knowledge and learning theory and is willing to share this
knowledge for the continual improvement of the school's curriculum.
• Assists in the ongoing curriculum revision process, including the revision of written
courses of study. Assists in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional
• Become acquainted with supplemental services beneficial to students as an extension of
regular classroom activities.
Provide a Classroom Environment Conducive to Learning
• Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the
maturity and interests of students.
• Maintains positive rapport with students; demonstrates patience and appropriate nurturing
to assist in the growth of the child.
• Ensures classroom is clean, and safe and includes student-generated work on display as
appropriate. Implements all relevant policies governing student conduct.
• Develop reasonable rules of classroom/playground behavior in accordance with The
Willie Jeffries School of Excellence policy and guidelines and maintains order in the
classroom in a fair and consistent manner.
• Develops lesson plans consistent with established guidelines and goals.
• Plans individual and group learning activities designed to meet instructional objectives
and student’s needs.
• Prepares for classes assigned and shows evidence of preparation upon request of
• Participates with other staff members in curriculum planning during designated meetings.
• Incorporates into planning all diagnostic information as required in the student's
Individual Education Plan (IEP).
• Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect supplies, equipment, materials,
and facilities needed to implement effectively the planned instructional program.
• Strives to establish cooperative relations and makes a reasonable effort to communicate
with parents/guardians when appropriate.
• Communicates clearly, consistently, and positively with parents via all appropriate
mediums. Cooperates with members of the administration and other staff
• Maintains confidentiality regarding student records. Participates in parent communication
• Participates in extracurricular activities to ensure a positive school culture and provide
support for students and staff (as required).
MAY PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being
performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required by personnel so classified.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
1. Demonstrates enthusiasm and commitment toward the position and the mission of the
company; support the company's values in the strategic areas of academic excellence,
operational performance, superior culture, and financial health and growth, as
outlined in the Employee.
2. Possesses strong time management & organizational skills and the ability to
3. Has the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with
teachers, students, parents, the community, and administrative Is sensitive to sensitive
to corporate needs, employee goodwill, and the public image, as unique situations
4. Possesses excellent interpersonal skills and displays such between all stakeholders:
being courteous, professional, and
5. Possesses excellent communication skills: Oral (including presentations), Written,
Interpersonal (active listening), Negotiating and
6. Has the ability to be at work consistently, to be on time, to follow instructions, to
respond to management direction, and to solicit feedback to improve
7. Demonstrates proficient experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint), Student Information System (SIS), and email
8. Look for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrate accuracy and
9. Strives to implement best practices and positive character education
• Bachelor's degree (BA) from an accredited college or university or equivalent. Possession
of valid teaching certification (as appropriate).
• Minimum of one (1) to three (3) years of successful teaching experience (may include
Student Teaching Internship experience).
• Equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Command of grades/subject-specific content and theoretical knowledge of learning
theory, including motivation, reinforcement, evaluation, and feedback techniques.
• Understanding of and commitment to company values.
• Successful results of criminal and employment background checks.
• Effective instructional delivery techniques and excellent communication skills.
Adherence to the requirements of the Code of Ethics for the Education Profession.
• Such alternatives to the above requirements as demeaned by The Willie Jeffries School of
Excellence or the Berkeley Charter Association may be appropriate and acceptable.
While performing the responsibilities of this position, the work environment characteristics listed
below are representative of the environment the employee will encounter:
• Usual school working conditions.
• May be noisy during high student traffic.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
• No physical exertion required.
• Somewhat stressful due to frequent student activity.
• Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of
force as frequently as needed to move objects.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Salary and benefits shall be paid consistent with The Willie Jeffries School of Excellence salary
and benefit policy. The length of the work year and hours of employment shall be those
established by The Willie Jeffries School of Excellence.
FLSA OVERTIME CATEGORY
Job is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Performance will be evaluated in accordance with The Willie Jeffries School of Excellence’s
The Willie Jeffries School of Excellence Human Resources Department retains the sole right and
discretion to make changes to this job description. Any employee making changes unauthorized
by the Human Resources Department will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including
Willie Jeffries School of Excellence- charter school in Orangeburg, SC
Please fill out the application that is linked here: