Teachers are primarily responsible for implementing and developing The Excel Center curriculum and the success of its students. We seek teachers committed to continuously improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration as a team. The Instructor will facilitate learning for students attending The Excel Center, meeting students “where they are.” He/she employs a student-centered approach, tailoring the instructional strategies to the individual student’s needs and approaching instruction with grit, creativity, and innovation. Strategies may include but are not limited to direct instruction, one-on-one instruction, seminars, self-paced lessons, and online learning environments. Instructors employ high-impact instructional practices and motivational techniques. The position will work with the instructional team to meet the educational objectives and adhere to South Carolina State Standards.
The work of each Excel Teacher supports the vision of Palmetto Goodwill: every member of our community has the opportunity to thrive.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates Palmetto Goodwill’s Amazing Customer Experience (ACE) Culture, I-CARE Values, Mission, and Vision in all actions.
- Instruct and facilitate Humanities instruction. The Humanities courses will be rooted in the ELA standards, focusing on the historical relevance of today’s cultural norms and constructs. The content will include the South Carolina history standards and skills.
- Specifically, U.S History will still fall within the capacity of the Humanities Teacher’s purview, focusing on the standards and skills to be successful on the US History EOC with supporting ELA standards included in the course.
- Implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards; Build lessons around student needs, including online learning tools and content.
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress toward South Carolina academic standards.
- Track and analyze classroom data; Use attendance and assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices to achieve learning goals.
- Intentionally focus on student learning; Think critically and strategically to respond to specific learning needs across ability levels.
- Participate in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions to improve student retention, productivity, school culture, and new student orientation.
- Communicate student progress effectively with students and colleagues; Collaborate with staff to ensure student success.
- Collaborate with the Academic Success Coaches and the Leadership Team to support students’ progress toward graduation and post-secondary planning.
- Attend all team and professional development meetings.
- Assist with new student orientation.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- Has working knowledge of computer programs to perform clerical tasks: Office 366, Excel, Word, and the Internet.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish, preferred.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in subject specialty required with a minimum of two (2) years teaching experience post-licensing, preferred.
- Current South Carolina Teaching Certification in the subject specialty.
- Experience working with high school-age students in urban areas, non-traditional education settings, and/or in an adult education setting is highly preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color, vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work is normally performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Palmetto Excel Center https://palmettoexcel.org/dev/
The Palmetto Excel Center is a high school that caters to adult learners in the Charleston area. It provides tuition-free education and grants industry-recognized certifications and high school diplomas. The center addresses the challenges that hinder individuals from pursuing their high school education due to life commitments and circumstances. It achieves this by providing resources such as transportation aid, childcare support, and adaptable class timings.