South Carolina Connections Academy (SCCA) is a tuition-free, K–12 online public school. The school was launched in 2008–09 under contract to the South Carolina Connections Academy Charter School. SCCA is South Carolina’s very first virtual charter school, authorized by the South Carolina Public Charter School District. The school serves students in grades K–12 from anywhere in South Carolina.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working from home in the state of South Carolina, the Middle School Counselor will provide virtual academic, college/career, and personal/social counseling services to a caseload of students in 6-8th Grade.
The Middle School Counselor roles will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Implement components of the ASCA National Model best practices;
- Complete a “Use of Time” analysis for one week in each semester;
- Deliver Needs Assessment annually to staff, parents, and students;
- Organize and lead Advisory Council for school counseling;
- Provide weekly guidance instruction focused on ASCA Student Standards;
- Identify students who are in need of intervention and deliver individual and small group support;
- Help students to research and understand their post-secondary career and educational options;
- Hold Individual Graduation Plan meetings and complete course selection for student caseload;
- Follow procedures for dropping courses and changing schedules ensuring that the school’s course selection and drop policies are adhered to;
- Understand the requirements for state testing;
- Report and refer critical incidents that jeopardize student well-being as obligated by law, administrative regulations, or ethical standards. Stay abreast of all state regulations relating to incident reporting and documentation;
- Serve as a consultant for staff for student welfare concerns;
- Work with school teams to identify and help families access school and community resources;
- Support professional development activities for teachers and school staff members;
- Prepare for student transitions to middle or high school
- Assist in coordinating a Career Day or other school counseling activities related to academic, career, or personal/social topics; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- South Carolina Counselor certificate
- Master’s degree in Counseling
- Experience working with Middle School students (6-8th Grade)
- Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft Office products)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Willingness to travel on occasion for school events and state testing (may require occasional overnight travel)
SC Connections Academy- online charter school
South Carolina Connections Academy strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of the people we serve. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.