|Directs and manages the Special Education program for the District. Provides leadership in developing, achieving and maintaining the best possible educational programs and services in order to ensure that each exceptional child is provided with the richest education experience possible. The Director will lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive assessment program for the purpose of instructional improvements in accordance with program requirements. The Director will collaborate with the faculty and staff to develop effective strategies for the assessment of student learning outcomes (SLOs) of the Pre-K-12 programs. Works to provide individualized education plans to meet the requirement to implement the special education curricula for Hampton County School District. Assists the Superintendent in strategic planning, policy development and implementation of objectives.
|Education and Experience:
- Master's degree in Special Education or Education Administration or a related discipline with a minimum of five years of experience in Special Education or School Administration; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Must possess a valid Teaching Certificate in Special Education.
- The ability to adapt and develop strong technical skills to include proficiencies of any software adopted by the district.
- A customer service-oriented attitude with an ability to collaborate with people in difficult situations.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent and the Board of Education may find appropriate and acceptable.
- Supports the vision, mission and beliefs of Hampton County School District.
- Knowledgeable of all state and federal regulations and compliance requirements applicable to exceptional education.
- Knowledge of the records, forms and reports which must be prepared and maintained.
- Knowledge of proper maintenance of equipment, materials and supplies used in daily activities.
- Has thorough and comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of exceptional education including identification, evaluation, placement, etc.
- Knowledgeable in planning and formulating budgets and monitoring related expenditures.
- Basic legal knowledge pertaining to the education of handicapped students.
- Knowledge of grants and state-mandated programs related to training for certificated District personnel.
- Thorough knowledge of Business English, spelling, grammar, punctuation, possession of an excellent vocabulary and mathematical computation.
- Knows how to keep abreast of changes in policy, standards, procedures, and regulations pertinent to exceptional services functions.
- Ability to comprehend, interprets, and applies state and federal regulations related to exceptional education.
- Ability to operate general office equipment in the performance of daily activities.
- Ability to effectively apply knowledge of exceptional education to programs, services, and curricula.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and their parents, District staff, and all other groups involved in the activities of the job.
- Advanced management, organizational, human relations, communications and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to instruct others through explanation, demonstration and supervised practice, and/or make recommendations on the basis of technical disciplines.
- Ability to prepare and monitor the department budget.
- Ability to create electronic reports and presentations, use the internet efficiently, communicate electronically via e-mail, and manage electronic data and files in an organized manner.
- Ability to complete, process, and maintain all required records, reports, and confidential personnel information.
- Ability to operate general office equipment such as a computer, calculator, copier, etc.
- Office environment with little exposure to environmental conditions.
- Physical demands are restricted to general office activities requiring movement/lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Routine local travel required; occasional overnight travel required.
- Requires ability to work under a degree of stress related to duties that require considerable attention and meeting deadlines.
|This job description is not intended as a complete listing of job duties. The incumbent is responsible for the performance of other related duties as assigned/required. The administration has the exclusion right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Hampton County School District