- South Carolina certification as required for the position or eligible for appropriate certification
- Bachelor's Degree
- Strong background in technology skills and applications
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Plans a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepares for classes assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate superior.
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals in harmony with the district goals and establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action the district's philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Diagnoses the learning disabilities of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of district specialists as required.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect student, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and, for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provisions for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s) when assigned and evaluates their job performance; works cooperatively with department heads if applicable.
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as required.
Specific Job Requirements
- Possess and utilize excellent team building skills
- Accept delegated responsibilities willingly
- Able to work under occasional stress
- Demonstrate a high level of initiative in job performance
- Communicate effectively with a diverse community
Terms of Employment:
190 days per school year; salary and work year to be established by the Board
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on
Evaluation of Certified Personnel.
York School District One is an equal opportunity employer
York School District One does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, handicap, sex, age, alienage or national origin as required by applicable state and federal laws.
York School District One
- District Map
- 10 schools:
- Elementary Schools (Grades 4K - 4th Grade): Cotton Belt, Harold C. Johnson, Hickory Grove/Sharon (Grades 4K - 6th, Hunter Street, JeffersonYork Comprehensive High School
- York Intermediate (Grades 5 & 6)
- York Middle School (Grades 7 & 8)
- York One Academy
- York Comprehensive High School
- Floyd D. Johnson Technology Center
- 820 employees; 437 certified employees and 383 classified employees
- District-wide AdvancED accreditation
- 81.9% on-time graduation rate
- 5249 students
- Racial Composition: 65.6% white, 18.4% African American, 8% Hispanic, and 8% Other
- 67% meet federal guidelines for free/reduced-price meals
District Programs and Services
- Montessori (serving multi-aged pre-school students, Hunter Street Elementary)
- Reading Recovery
- Graduation Enhancement Program
- York County Middle College Program Partnership
- Gateway to Technology
- Project Lead the Way
- Culinary Arts
- GreenSTEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- MERIT (Gifted/Talented Program, Grades 3-8)
- Advanced Placement Course Offerings
- Dual Credit Course Offerings
- Making Middle Grades Work
- Credit recovery for students in grades 9-12
- Alternative school programs for students in grades 5-12
- Manufacturing Operations Major
- Family Resource Centers
- Work-Based Student Initiative
- Community service clubs and organizations for students
- Collaboration with Second Harvest of Metrolina
School and Staff Recognitions
- 3 schools received Palmetto Silver Awards for 2017-18 (Cotton Belt, Jefferson, and York Intermediate), 2 schools received Palmetto Silver Awards for 2018-19 (Harold C Johnson and Jefferson) and 1 school received Palmetto Gold Award for 2018-19 (Cotton Belt)
- 41 teachers currently hold National Board teacher certification
- Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting
- State representation in chorus, band, oratorical contests, FBLA, FFA, essay contest
Thank you for considering employment in York School District 1! We serve students and families in the western portion of York County by providing quality education and striving to meet the needs of our community.
York School District 1 employs over 400 teachers and over 750 total employees. We always welcome innovative and energetic applicants to our open positions.
Work with Us
To streamline our recruitment processes, our District utilizes an online application system provided by TeacherMatch. To view our openings and apply, visit our postings page at TalentEd.
Benefits and Insurance
York School District 1 offers the insurance programs of the South Carolina Public Employee Benefit Authority (PEBA). Employees select the coverage that best meets the needs of themselves and their families. We believe that employees are our greatest resource and take pride in being able to offer benefits to all eligible employees and their families. More information about employee benefits is on our Human Resources Benefits page.
Please contact our Human Resources staff with questions about your application process. Thank you for your interest in York School District 1!