High Point Academy Spartanburg is looking for a qualified Middle School P.E. Teacher for the 2020-2021 school year. This position is responsible for creating a classroom environment that promotes and develops an understanding of the relationship between healthy body function and exercise; that motivates each student to cultivate physical fitness. Students are expected to build strength, skill, agility, poise, and coordination in individual and team physical activities and sports, by each student’s ability. High Point Academy offers full-time employees a competitive salary with state health and retirement benefits.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Teaches knowledge and skills in physical fitness, health education, rhythms, and dance, and individual or team sports, utilizing designated curriculum
- Works cooperatively with other physical education teachers in planning and implementing a balanced physical education program
- Analyzes demonstrate and explain the necessary skills, knowledge, and strategies of formal sports, games, rhythms, and fundamentals of body movement
- Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the division’s basic instructional philosophy and congruent with the course and SOL standards; provides individualized and small group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student and subgroups of students
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior to provide an orderly, productive environment in the physical education areas
- Provides appropriate safety instruction and makes safety checks on equipment and field areas to ensure the overall safety of students
- Evaluates academic and social growth of students, prepares report cards, and keeps appropriate records to include attendance reports, checklists, and other recordkeeping activities as necessary
- Maintains control of storage and use of school property
- Evaluates each student’s growth in physical skills, knowledge, and contribution in team sports
- Communicates with parents and school counselors on student progress
- Supervises students in out of classroom activities during the assigned working day
- Administers testing by division testing practices
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities
- Maintains professional competence by attending staff development programs, curriculum development meetings, and other professional activities
- Participates in various student and parent activities
- Creates an active learning environment through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and activity/learning centers
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrators
Qualifications and Skills:
Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education or a related field and meet the South Carolina Department of Education license eligibility requirements to teach physical education. Must be eligible for or in possession of an appropriate teaching license. Must possess an ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships with students, staff, parents, and the public.
SC Public Charter School District
High Point Academy https://hpaspartanburg.com/
High Point Academy Spartanburg, SC is a free public charter school founded in 2014. We are Spartanburg County’s only charter school serving students in kindergarten through 12th-grades. High Point Academy Spartanburg provides a secure and safe environment for students who live in South Carolina regardless of their assigned school district.
High Point Academy Spartanburg is built on the principles of honor, integrity, and service. High Point Academy Spartanburg is led by certified teachers anchored in an applied learning style of instruction with an emphasis in S.T.E.A.M. (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) education as well as character development and leadership training. Through a partnership with family and community, each student will be challenged to achieve their highest potential academically, socially, and personally.