Palmetto Scholars Academy, a 6-12 public charter school, is seeking a full-time, high school counselor to join our team beginning the summer of 2020. PSA exists to meet the distinctive academic, social, and emotional needs of students by utilizing best practices of gifted education. Candidates must be self-motivated and able to develop positive, healthy relationships with students and staff, as well as, our community members and institutions of higher education. The ideal candidate will view school counseling as integral to PSA’s culture.
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
● High emotional intelligence
● Knowledge of and commitment to best practices set forth by the American School Counseling Association
● Ability to guide high school students through the college application process to include seeking and obtaining financial aid
● Expertise in high school academic, career, and college planning to include securing scholarships from a variety of sources, and facilitating engaging family conversations during individual graduation plan meetings
● Proficient within PowerSchool, DRC, College Board, and NCAA portals
● Proficient in Parchment and/or Naviance
● Proficient in Common Application and other college application processes
● Ability to assist students through the selection, registration, and application process of dual enrollment courses ( Currently we use Trident Technical College and College of Charleston.)
● Positive attitude towards learning about new programs, processes, and professional organizations (such as the Coalition for College and Academic Common Market)
● Master’s degree required.
● Valid SC Certification is preferred.
● Minimum of five years school counseling experience.
Palmetto Scholars Academy https://www.psaschool.org/
PSA is a Gifted and Talented Charter School located in North Charleston, South Carolina.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. State health benefits are offered. Retirement is offered through a Simple IRA plan