McCormick County School District
POSITION TITLE: Art Teacher
SUMMARY: To guide students toward gaining knowledge and skills in art and encourage their development as mature, able and responsible men and women.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Valid South Carolina teaching certificate with certification in Art
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Meets Highly Qualified requirements as defined by the ESEA legislation
- Proficient in art vocabulary and techniques
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity, interest, and abilities of students.
- Creates and hangs art displays for school building and special school activities and creates graphic design materials for school events and programs.
- Maintains specialized equipment such as the kiln in the art classroom.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of established District curriculum goals, establishes and communicates clear objectives to the students for all lessons, units, and projects.
- Provides content for learners using multiple sources and formats, explanations, examples, and demonstrations and provides emphasis on key elements.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis, provides progress reports as required, and communicates with parents as directed by principal.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by the law, District policy and administrative regulation.
- Maintains and reinforces appropriate expectations for student performance and responsibility and student expectations for completing assignments.
- Communicates with parents/legal guardians regarding the academic performance of the students.
- Displays confidence and enthusiasm and promotes student to student interactions and students to teacher interactions.
- Stays abreast of and designs instruction according to the state’s academic standards for Visual Art for the appropriate grade level.
- Establishes and communicates to students and parents clear and appropriate rules and consequences for student behavior and enforces rules in a fair and consistent manner.
- Establishes effective routines for non-instructional tasks, plans for smooth transitions between instructional events, and manages instructional materials, resources, and technologies.
- Maintains a physical environment that promotes learning and is safe and attractive.
Maintains confidentiality of student records and data.
- Works cooperatively with the district and participates in professional development programs.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on committees as required.
- Performs requirements as established by state and federal laws and requirements established by the Board of Trustees.
- Fulfills professional responsibilities beyond the classroom.
Performs other duties as directed.
Terms of Employment: Salary to be determined by the salary schedule established by the Board of Trustees.
Reports to: Principal
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated yearly by the Principal and/or Director of Special Education.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.