Basic Job Description:
The Reading Coach/Literacy Coach will assist teachers in ensuring that all teachers teach reading skills and implement effective literacy strategies. Coaches will work with all teachers (content teachers and elective areas) in the school he or she serves, prioritizing time for those teachers, activities, and roles that will have the greatest impact on student achievement, namely coaching and mentoring in classrooms.
- holds a Bachelor’s degree or higher and an add-on endorsement for literacy coach or literacy specialist; or
- holds a Bachelor’s degree or higher and is actively pursuing the literacy coach or literacy specialist endorsement by attending the SCDE Read to Succeed Coach Training or an alternative coach program that has been approved by the SCDE; or
- holds a Master’s degree or higher in reading or a closely-related field and is actively pursuing the literacy coach or literacy specialist endorsement by attending the SCDE Read to Succeed Coach Training or an alternative coach program that has been approved by the SCDE.
- works effectively with adults and motivates them to change practices
- experience as a successful classroom teacher
- experience in increasing student achievement in reading
- knowledge of evidence- based reading research, quality reading instruction, and a depth of content knowledge
- ability to integrate reading strategies into other content areas
- experience in data analysis to inform instruction
- excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and time management skills
- experience with coaching and/ or mentoring
- A well-rounded understanding of current/emerging education models and best practices, including Project-Based Learning; blended learning; the “flipped classroom”; educational technologies (such as Google Classroom and other online platforms for instruction and creativity)
- Be a self-starter but also a collaborator, able to collaborate with any colleague or student
- Desire to direct students continually to interest, inquiry, and impact on the world now (rather than just “getting through” academic material or "checking boxes")
- Highly flexible and able to improvise
NEXT School Eagle Ridge http://nextschooleagleridge.org/
NEXT School Eagle Ridge is a grade 6–12 school built by people who want to make an impact, and want to do so as part of a diversely talented and flexible team. Because we love meeting and connecting with like-minded educators, we post positions even while our year is in motion—we’d like you to be able to see the model in action and think about your future with NEXT School Eagle Ridge (as well as consider opportunities for positions during the year).
An extension of NEXT High School in Greenville, SC, NEXT School Eagle Ridge (NSER) is a free, statewide public charter school. NSER exists to prepare young people for life by engaging them in life now, giving them the tools and opportunity to create real products, host real events, launch real businesses or nonprofits, and have a real impact. We believe that there is no reason for student work to be hypothetical, or for projects to live and die on a posterboard.
Next School Eagle Ridge is a charter school in Salem, SC